Those of us who make New Year’s resolutions do so with the best of intentions. Keeping them, however, can be another story: From a statistical point of view, fewer than 20% last until February. But recent psychological research also suggests the benefits of starting the year off on the right foot can outweigh the drawbacks.
The start of a new year signals a time to reflect on lessons from the past, refocus on priorities for the future – and, most of all, to chart a course for the year ahead. Whatever your goals, now is the best time to plan for them.
Do you have a roadmap for 2022? If not, consider these top five resolutions – inspired by Good Housekeeping’s 60 Achievable New Year’s Resolutions – to get started in the right direction:
- Join a club or take a class. It’s the new year, so why not learn something new? Clubs and classes are an easy way to explore novel interests, expand your social circle, or even brush up on old hobbies that have fallen to the wayside over the years. You can also explore a range of free online courses offered by universities like Harvard and MIT.
- Prepare a new meal every week. “Eating healthier” usually ranks among the most common New Year’s resolutions – but you don’t have to give up great taste to enjoy a diet that’s good for you. Instead of limiting your palate, expand it with fresh, flavorful recipes. Look for recipes using piquant herbs and spices – like cumin, cayenne, black pepper, or oregano – in place of added salt, or try your hand at healthy international cuisines from countries like Greece or Vietnam.
- Clear out your closet, attic or garage. As we go through life, it’s hard to avoid picking up clutter – and over time, the prospect of downsizing can become more and more daunting. If you feel overwhelmed by having “too much,” consider focusing on just one room (or one box of items) at a time.
- Start a journal. Whether you want to relax and unwind, capture moments of inspiration, or keep your life more organized, journal-keeping offers abundant benefits for mindful living. Just a few minutes of writing every day – in whatever format suits you best – can be a great way to get started.
- Refresh your financial plan. Where do you want to be in five or 10 years? Are you on track to get there? How might your expenses or priorities change over the coming years? January is an ideal time to take a long-term look at your finances and prepare for whatever the future brings.
If you think 2022 is time for a new beginning, you might want to add “Make a Life Plan” to your list of resolutions – followed by “Find Out More About The Mayflower.” Here, our maintenance-free lifestyle offers safety, security, and complete peace of mind … in an environment with abundant opportunities to learn, grow, and pursue your passions.
Embark on a brand new adventure … and embrace the freedom to focus on you. To learn more about everything our community has to offer, including a select inventory of stylish – and surprisingly affordable – apartments, as well as our upcoming Bristol Landing expansion, send us a message or give us a call at 407.672.1620. We look forward to hearing from you!