March 13, 2020
As cases of the new coronavirus are reported in the United States and Florida, worry and misinformation abound. But the best response is preparedness and caution, say experts at the World Health Organization: “This is a time for facts, not fear.”
The new coronavirus, COVID-19, spreads from person to person through coughing and sneezing, much like a cold or flu. We can stay healthy and keep our communities safe by adopting physician-recommended habits:
- If you are sick, stay home (except to visit the doctor).
- Don’t spend time with people who are sick, coughing or sneezing.
- Don’t shake hands or hug as a greeting. Stand apart from others and avoid sitting elbow-to-elbow. In general, maintain a social distance of six feet.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often and thoroughly with soap and water – before eating and after sneezing, coughing, touching public surfaces like handrails or elevator buttons, or using the restroom.
- Don’t touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Don’t attend large public gatherings and postpone any nonessential travel.
- Get your vaccinations on schedule. Staying up to date on your recommended vaccines can protect you from other illnesses that may lower your immunity.
At The Mayflower, keeping residents safe and healthy is our top priority. Wellness has always been a pillar of our community, and we are taking the new coronavirus outbreak very seriously. We are monitoring the situation and rigorously adhering to guidelines issued by the CDC and Florida Department of Health.
As part of our proactive response, we have increased cleaning and sanitization of public areas, trained staff in illness prevention and safety, and temporarily discontinued group activities and excursions. Visitors and staff will be screened for cold-like symptoms to prevent individuals who are ill from entering the community.
Our commitment to total wellness – including the assurance of compassionate, quality care in any circumstance – sets The Mayflower apart. To learn more, contact us here or give us a call at 407-672-1620.